The COBIS Student Leadership Weekend is an annual event which provides leadership training and life skills for senior pupils from years 10-13. This year’s event was hosted by King’s Group and took place at King’s College, The British School of Madrid from 15-17 November 2019. This year’s group was the largest ever, with 67 students from 17 schools in 11 countries attending the weekend in Madrid
Through interactive activities with trainers and motivational speakers, the students were presented with opportunities to develop self-awareness, interpersonal skills and life competencies. This year, an organising committee of 10 students from King’s College , Soto de Viñuelas, were actively involved at all stages from the initial programme design and planning stages through to delivery, acting as core presenters and facilitators during the weekend. This year's programme included sessions on:
- What is leadership?
Led by our student organisers who shared lots of ideas of what leadership means, providing examples of people in different leadership roles to give the students a better understanding of the key issues.
- Presentation and public speaking skills
Laina Pattni from Future Foundations delivered an interactive workshop where the students were able to learn and practise presentation and public speaking skills so that they could engage with and motivate a large audience of peers
- Team-building activity in the centre of Madrid
This activity around Madrid was a perfect way to practise working as a team with people they had recently met, whilst at the same time giving them the opportunity to see the wonderful landmarks in Madrid
- Wellbeing and Mental Health
Alexander Edwards, the Wellbeing Leader and Mental Health Coach in King’s Group, guided the students through this workshop, revealing her mindfulness tips and tricks for students to take away and apply to their day-to-day lives.
- Challenge: Think Global, Act Local
Throughout the weekend the student organisers set a challenge for all the student leaders in which they had to work in teams to come up with an idea that could be implemented in their schools, focusing on the slogan ‘Think Global, Act Local’. Each team's final presentation can be viewed by clicking on their team name below:
The Blue team was the winner of this challenge, winning an online leadership course from EtonX. The winners will be able to choose from a wide range of courses, from ‘Research Skills’ to ‘Public Speaking’ to ‘Entrepreneurship’ that will benefit them in their future lives. Each course also includes a one hour 1-1 tutorial with an Eton College lecturer once the course has been completed as a way of consolidating everything they have learnt.
Overall the feedback from the weekend was extremely positive with many students stating that they felt their expectations had been met and exceeded by the workshops. Student feedback included:
- "I'm confident that I've enhanced my leadership skills"
- "It helped me understand and recognize the needs of others and made me realize that not everyone does something the same way as you"
- "It allowed me to improve my team work abilities, allowed me to meet new people and find new friends and also acted as a form of stress relief, in regards to school life back home, as this was very fun and engaging."
- "Overall, I consider this weekend was a success, I find it very nice that it was students that organized the event, rather than teachers. All activities were useful and engaging, it never felt as if time was wasted. All in all, for me, there were no drawbacks to this event, I enjoyed every moment and I am looking forward to attend next year's event as well."
We would like to thank the team at King's Group for their hard work and excellent organisation of another Student Leadership Weekend.