Dates and location
The COBIS Music Festival will take place from 4 - 6 June 2020 in Dubai, UAE. The event will be hosted by Hartland International School.
During the festival, students will compete against their international peers. Students can enter the following categories (‘lower school’ refers to those in Years 6-9 and ‘upper school’ refers to those in Years 10-13):
- Upper school piano solo
- Lower school piano solo
- Upper school instrumental solo (classical)
- Lower school instrumental solo (classical)
- Upper school instrumental ensemble (classical)
- Lower school instrumental ensemble (classical)
- Upper school vocal solo
- Lower school vocal solo
- Upper school vocal ensemble
- Lower school vocal ensemble
- Pop/rock band (1 entry per school maximum)
- Upper school pop/rock instrumental solo (drum kit, electric guitar, bass guitar)
- Lower school pop/rock instrumental solo (drum kit, electric guitar, bass guitar)
Solos should be no more than 5 minutes; ensembles should be no more than 10 minutes.
Students will also attend musical workshops to refine their techniques and develop new skills. This will include a workshop led by Rob Johnston, Choral Manager for BBC Singers.
The festival will also provide students with the opportunity to socialise whilst seeing the sights of Dubai aboard a Dhow Cruise.
Competition prizes will include:
- Trophies and certificates for the winners of each category
- A scholarship to the prestigious Urdang Summer School (10 years +)
- A scholarship to the prestigious Urdang Audition Preparation course (14 years +)
COBIS registration fee per school: £295
Student fee: £200
Staff fee: £160
These costs include:
- Competition entry
- Musical workshops
- Transfers between the airport and accommodation (upon arrival and departure)
- Transport between the accommodation and event venues
Accommodation and travel to/from Dubai is not included in this fee.
How to register
Schools should register for the event through our online form. Registration will close at midday (GMT) on Monday 24th February 2020.
School staff must register on behalf of students. Each school can bring a maximum of 20 students.
Accommodation options are available to download here. Participating schools should not book accommodation until the Music Festival has been formally confirmed.
Transport will be provided between the recommended hotels and the event venue. It is therefore advised that participating schools book to stay in one of the recommended hotels.
Terms and Conditions
We would like to thank our Supporting Member, Future Learning, for sponsoring the COBIS Music Festival 2020.
Future Learning (FL) is a technology-enhanced, project based school specialising in teaching through digital media projects which involves a strong focus on collaboration and Intercultural skills. We are proudly accredited by EAQUALS and our head office is in Dublin, Ireland. Many of our visiting students have excellent language skills already and also request to take part in projects with local students when they are here in Ireland.
Each year FL works with almost 6,000 international students, offering fully catered school tours (known as mini-stays) to different locations around Ireland. FL also specialises in training teachers in the use of Technology in the Classroom.