2016 COBIS World Debate Competition
Students from the English International College in Marbella won the 2016 COBIS Student World Debate Competition earlier this week.
After two days of intense competition, the Cup final was fiercely debated between host school and current champions, The Edron Academy and English International College in Marbella. The two teams debated at length over the motion "This house would legalise the sale of human organs". Both teams put forward an excellent performance and although very close, English International College took first place.
The Plate final was also a tough competition with students from the Prague British School pitted against the team from the Divine Royal International School, Nkpor in Nigeria. Prague British School came out triumphant after another very close debate.
Congratulations to all who took part, the level of both preparation and quick-thinking was outstanding.
In addition to the competitions, students took part in cultural excursions in and around Mexico City as well as attending an Opening Night Dinner with important guests representing the host and some of the attending team's home countries:
- Mr. Hani Adel Dimitry Yassa, Head of Chancery and second in command at the embassy in Egypt
- His Excellency L'ubomír Hladík, Ambassador of the Czech Republic
- Mr. Ivan Dubovicky, Minister Counsellor of Education
- His Excellency Eduard Malayán, Ambassador of Russia
- His Excellency Duncan Taylor, Ambassador of The United Kingdom
- Mr. Thomas Barschkis from the Honorary General Consulate of Luxembourg in Mexico
- Actuary Abraham Cárdenas, Rector from Universidad Anáhuac
The team at COBIS Head Office in Russell Square, London, would like to take this opportunity to thank The Edron Academy for preparing and hosting such a fantastic event, and for the warm welcome they gave everyone.
- The Edron Academy
- The British School in The Netherlands
- Prague British School
- The International School of Moscow
- British International School Cairo
- Divine Royal International College
- St Paul's School, Sao Paulo
- British School of Panama, King’s College
- St George's Luxembourg
- English International College