COBIS Senior School Music Festival 2019
Sponsored by charanga
Registration for the 2019 COBIS Music Festival, taking place 3-5 May 2019 at the British School in the Netherlands, is now open.
Now in its fifth year, the COBIS Music Festival is a wonderful weekend of workshops, competitions, performances and fun social activities. This fantastic event celebrates talented COBIS students from around the world through a full programme, providing them with the opportunity to meet and socialise with students from other countries.
Friday 3 May – Sunday 5 May 2019
Categories and student numbers
Schools must register on behalf of students. Schools can bring a maximum of 20 students (this number may depend on the number of schools that sign up).
Students can enter the following categories:
- Upper School Piano Solo
- Lower School Piano Solo
- Upper School Instrumental Solo (Classical)
- Lower School Instrumental Solo (Classical)
- Upper School Instrumental Ensemble (Classical)
- Lower School Instrumental Ensemble (Classical)
- Upper School Vocal Ensemble
- Lower School Vocal Ensemble
- Upper School Vocal Solo
- Lower School Vocal Solo
- Pop/Rock Band (1 entry per school maximum)
- Upper School Pop/Rock Instrumental Solo (Drum Kit, Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar)
- Lower School Pop/Rock Instrumental Solo (Drum Kit, Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar)
Please note that "Lower School" refers to those in Years 6-9 and "Upper School" refers to those in Years 10-13.
Solo performances should be no longer than 5 minutes, ensemble pieces no more than 10 minutes.
- Students - €200
- Staff - €165
- COBIS school entry fee (additional) - £295
These costs include:
- Competition entry
- Transfers between Schiphol airport and the accommodation (upon arrival and departure)
- Travel from the accommodation to the school and the social event on Saturday
- A welcome dinner on Friday, lunch on Saturday, beach BBQ dinner and disco on Saturday at Scheveningen Beach, and lunch on Sunday
Accommodation is an additional cost and must be booked independently by each school. In order to help schools book accommodation, BSN have linked with a travel organisation, Expohotels, who will assist with the booking. After registering for the Music Festival, COBIS will send schools an accommodation booking form. There are several accommodation options available. Please click here to see suggested accommodation options.
Please find the draft timetable for the weekend below.
19.00 – 21.00
Welcome dinner and party at BSN
10.00 – 17.00
Competitions all day (with lunch around 13.00)
c.17.30 – 21.30
Transport to Scheveningen, Beach BBQ and disco
10.00 – 12.30
Choral, Orchestral, Rock Band workshops
Closing concert, presentations and farewell
There will be several workshops over the weekend, with:
- Dominic Peckham – Conductor (National Youth Choirs of Great Britain)
- Ioanna Ismyridi – Conductor/Repetiteur (Cottbus Philharmonic Orchestra)
- Andrew Plummer – Lead Singer/Guitarist (Snack Family, World Sanguine Report, Bilbao Syndrome)
Schools should register for the event through our online form.
Registration will close at midday (GMT) on Monday 18th February.
Publicising the event at your school
You can download our Music Festival poster here and display this in your school noticeboards.
Terms and Conditions
Please ensure that you have read the Music Festival Terms and Conditions when registering for the event. This document includes information about payment deadlines.
For more information on previous competitions, please click the links below.
- 2018 COBIS Senior School Music Festival
- 2017 COBIS Senior School Music Festival
- 2016 COBIS Senior School Music Festival
- 2015 COBIS Senior School Music Festival
Our competition sponsor
COBIS would like to thank our Supporting Member, charanga, for sponsoring our Music Festival 2019.
Charanga is a modern and exciting digital resource for music teaching. Because Charanga is online, it’s always up to date with new resources and best practice music teaching advice. Its community provides teachers with a connection to colleagues around the world.
With a complete Scheme of Work for children aged 5-11, a vast library of songs, topics, instrument courses and creative apps, plus assessment and personalised learning including home access for children, Charanga supports music across the school.