15 October 2018 – 30 April 2019
COBIS has partnered with LitFilmFest to create this free English and filmmaking competition for COBIS member schools.
What is LitFilmFest?
LitFilmFest aims to raise literacy attainment in Years 1-6 through filmmaking projects. Students are required to write and produce a short film from one of five categories. LitFilmFest provides teaching resources for your school to use which help students write and create their films.
Through the competition, students will develop skills including:
Participation in LitFilmFest also provides an excellent opportunity to develop your school's teaching practice, at the same time as creating digital media to showcase your school to a global audience.
The team behind LitFilmFest, previously known as 'A Tale Unfolds', were the winners of the COBIS Supporting Member Award at our COBIS Annual Conference 2018, for their work on LitFilmFest with St George's International School, Luxembourg. The team also won an award from the Institute Of Education in June 2018, for their research study on how their approach improves KS2 English at 3.75 times the UK national average rate.
Each project takes between five to ten English lessons to complete.
The five categories for schools to choose between are:
- Why I Play - KS1 and KS2 poetry writing with former children's laureate Michael Rosen
- Team Tap - KS1 and KS2 report writing focusing on plastic pollution waste
- Lioness Lunch - KS1 and KS2 instruction writing focusing on nutrition and sport
- Superhero Trailer - KS1 narrative writing
- Pupil Parliament - KS2 persuasive writing with Houses of Parliament
All five resources can be downloaded here.
How to enter
- Download the teaching resources for your chosen project from LitFilmFest for free.
- Over several English lessons, your students will write and create a film. Students must write the script, but staff can help with filming and editing. Before starting the project, make sure you have read the full terms and conditions below.
- Upload your school’s film to the competition form before the deadline of midday (GMT) Tuesday 30 April 2019.
There will be one winning entry for each of the five categories.
Each winning school will win a Gold Site Licence worth £300 which gives 12 months access to all the teaching resources on the LitFilmFest website.
Winners will be announced at the COBIS Annual Conference in May 2019.
If you have any questions regarding this competition, please email email@example.com.
Terms and conditions
1. To enter the COBIS LitFilmFest, your school must be a registered COBIS member school. Only bona fide COBIS schools are eligible to compete in the COBIS LitFilmFest.
2. Entry to LitFilmFest will be open from Monday 15 October 2018 to midday (GMT) Tuesday 30 April 2019. Any submissions entered after this deadline will not be judged.
3. Films must be uploaded via the COBIS LitFilmFest form. Please note that there is another LitFilmFest competition, so attention must be paid to upload films to the COBIS competition form.
4. Scripts must be written by the students of the COBIS school entering the competition. Filming and editing must be done by the school staff or students.
5. The judging criteria for submitted film entries is simple; we’re looking for three things: super sentences, polished presentation skills and quality camera work.
6. Each school may enter a maximum of one film per category.
7. Films should be submitted by the lead teacher, not by students.
8. You, the entrant, have gained consent from both the headteacher and guardians of all pupils featuring in your film, confirming that COBIS and A Tale Unfolds/LitFilmFest may publish and promote the content you submit. You can find an example consent form here.
9. You agree for your submission to be named and shared in any media generated by A Tale Unfolds/LitFilmFest and COBIS.
10. You will not submit content that is defamatory, abusive or offensive; infringe the copyright, moral right, rights of privacy, trademark or other proprietary right of any third party.
11. You will not submit content that will advertise, promote or endorse any products or services.
12. COBIS and A Tale Unfolds/LitFilmFest reserve the right to not consider entries on grounds of suitability. The judges' decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. You may not reproduce, sell, resell or otherwise exploit any resource, or the access to any resource, contained on the LitFilmFest website.
14. This competition is run by LitFilmFest of 157b Offord Road, London, N1 1LR United Kingdom. Where categories of the competition are co-promoted with external companies, bodies or organisations this will be clearly stated in the publicity literature for the competition. In such situations, the co-organisers' terms and conditions will apply.
15. We take no responsibility whatsoever for the content of any sites which may be linked to the LitFilmFest site.
16. There will be one winner per category. Each category winner will receive a Gold Site Licence worth £300 which gives 12 months access to all the teaching resources at LitFilmFest.
17. Winners will be announced at the COBIS Annual Conference in May 2019.