This blog is from one of COBIS' Supporting Associates.
Reaching your targets and improving school performance is key to your school’s sustained growth. As you know, the better your performance, the better your brand image, which puts places at your school in higher demand.
There are a number of reasons that a parent might choose a school, including location, extra-curricular activities, and more. But proving your school’s ability to maximise their child’s academic performance might make the difference between an application, or them choosing another establishment.
However, it’s important to note that understanding school performance doesn’t just benefit parents and students, but is also key to the successful operation of your school and leadership teams. Boosting your reporting potential ensures that you can provide the best experience for the full school community.
What key insights should I be monitoring?
It’s important to analyse performance in order to get a better understanding of how your school measures up to your goals and expectations.
You might even look to measure your school against the best in the space, or an industry average – depending on your individual goals. Internally, you are likely to consider some of the following elements of school life:
- Academic performance
- Staff performance
- Admissions data
- Wellbeing and behavioural concerns
Your school’s accessible data is the key to effectively prioritising school resources and driving improved performance.
The importance of analytics and reporting
As a school, your primary focus is to provide students with the best education and school experience possible. Your students will always be the priority. But your students aren’t the only ones that benefit from effective reporting. It’s key to sustained growth for your entire school community, including internal departments and leadership teams.
Improve student outcomes: The better you understand your students' successes and weaknesses, the more effectively you can support them; consider your curriculum; and influence future education planning. A full understanding of student performance only improves the learning experience for the students of the future.
Increase efficiency: Understanding your school’s daily operations and how each department is performing can help you to optimise your resources and time across the board.
Boost department performance: Uncover the true performance of each department. For example, how is your admissions department performing against targets? If the stats are positive, recognise that. If the department needs a boost, take the time to understand where further support is needed.
Identify new ideas and initiatives: Reporting is half the journey towards school growth. The next step is to take what you have learned and any data points that your analytics have provided and build on them with innovative ideas and initiatives.
How to analyse your school performance
You’ve decided to work on better understanding your school performance and truly analysing school data – but where do you start?
The overall process will be different for each individual school or department depending on your available data and your goals, but there are some key steps to every detailed school analysis:
- Clean and organised data: Your school data needs to be in a clean and manageable format in order to carry out a thorough analysis. Without it, any key data points or analytics could be inaccurate.
- Identify target areas: What information do you really want to get out of your data? How do you want to measure yourself against other schools or your historical performance? You need to know what areas of school data are the most important indicators to you.
- Identify data trends: When analysing your data against your target areas, what trends are appearing and how are the results measuring up to historical data or your competition?
- Generate action plans and goals: Once you have palatable insights from your analysis, you need to create a plan to reach your target and continue your positive growth. How are you going to make sure your school exceeds expectations?
- Continuously monitor results: As you enact your action plan, it’s important to make sure your efforts are pushing your school in the right direction. Continue to monitor your data and compare at regular intervals to understand what’s working and what isn’t.
What is iSAMS Central?
Schools manage a vast amount of data on a daily basis, and it’s important to get the most out of that data. iSAMS Central was crafted to boost your data management teams and provide palatable insights into school performance for leadership teams and decision-makers.
The Power BI tool uses data visualisation and analytics technology to generate inbuilt dashboards for a variety of important data points. Tweak them according to your individual needs and showcase the performance that is truly key to your individual school.
To learn more about Central, you can watch a demo here.