Supporting new schools to get the best start
We are committed to supporting British international schools through all stages of their development. Provisional School status is awarded to schools in the planning phase or early stages of operation. These schools must demonstrate a high level of quality across 5 areas throughout the application process:
- Nature of the school: including ethos and values and admissions policy
- Staffing: including recruitment processes and training, and safer recruitment practices
- Students and Curriculum: including planned curriculum and support for EAL and SEN students
- Facilities: including safety compliance and provision for students with physical disabilities
- Governance and Steering: including vision, school development plan, planned governance structure and school policies
The Benefits of Provisional School status
Our Provisional Schools have the opportunity to work closely with a Lead Improvement Partner (LIP) to demonstrate they meet our requirements across all 5 areas. They are also able to access the wealth of knowledge within the COBIS network, enabling them to learn from the experience of more established schools.
Provisional School status offers reassurance to parents, staff and students, as the school has been quality assured against a rigorous set of criteria. This early quality assurance is particularly important for new schools, but can prove challenging, as many inspectorates or accrediting bodies will only award judgements on schools that have been operational for several years. We believe the development stage is one of the most important times in a young school’s life. Provisional School status is designed to help schools start as they mean to go on, with quality at the heart of what they do.
Applications for Provisional School status are subject to the same review process as our membership applications. They are reviewed by our Membership and Accreditation Committee and ratified by our Board. Schools awarded Provisional School status also commit to formal quality assurance within the first year of operation, usually through our Patron’s Accreditation and Compliance scheme.
Our Provisional Schools
We are delighted to have awarded Provisional School status to the following schools and would like to congratulate them on this achievement:
- Durham International Nursery & Pre-Prep School, Kenya
- Fettes College, Guangzhou, China
- Lady Eleanor Holles International School Foshan, China
To find our more about becoming a COBIS Provisional School, please get in touch with our Membership and Engagement Officer, Natalie Williams.