The Patron's Accreditation and Compliance
What is the COBIS Compliance and Patron’s Accreditation?
- The primary route to COBIS membership
- An external validation scheme on a 5-year cycle
- A tailored approach, based on rigorous standards and self-evaluation
- Recognises strengths while providing next steps for schools to improve and grow
- A professional partnership with each of our schools
How is it different, and what are the benefits?
- COBIS Compliance and Patron’s Accreditation is based on validation of evidence provided by our schools. It is not an inspection regime, nor do we form judgements
- With our high compliance standards, we work with our schools to help them to be as safe and secure as they can be
- We recognise and appreciate the context in which our schools sit
- An interactive process over a five-year cycle; not a one-off snapshot
- Supportive dialogue with our Lead Improvement Partners (LIPs) and Accreditation Team builds solid professional relationships and lasting partnerships
- Patron’s Accreditation involves central observation of learning and teaching with feedback for each teacher during a visit
- Choice for schools to extend the range of Patron’s Accreditation with larger teams and two optional elements: Communication and Extra-Curricular
What is the difference between Compliance and Patron’s Accreditation (PA)?
- For Compliance, standards 1-5 are mandatory (plus standard 6 for boarding)
- Standards 7-10 are only available with Patron's Accreditation
- Compliance is the minimum requirement for COBIS membership and features a 2.5-day LIP visit
- Patron's Accreditation validates learning and teaching and leadership with a three-day team visit along with areas of compliance against our standards
- Compliance leads to Member status, PA to Patron’s Accredited Member status
How can schools apply?
- Each school chooses their preferred scheme (Compliance or PA), applies and pays online or by invoice
- Visits are scheduled around six months to a year in advance by mutual agreement
- A Lead Improvement Partner (LIP) is allocated to the school 4-6 months before their visit
- The school uploads evidence to the Digital Workbook (DWB) to be reviewed by their LIP
- Schools and LIPs have ongoing dialogue before each visit to ensure schools are well-prepared and have sufficient evidence for a successful visit
- The LIP produces a report, which is quality assured and reviewed by the COBIS Accreditation Team and the COBIS Membership and Accreditation Committee, then ratified by the COBIS Board
- A written report, based on the verbal feedback given at the end of the school visit and membership documents are provided to the school approximately six weeks after successful visits
- Should a school be non-compliant in one or more areas, COBIS and the LIP work with them to formulate an action plan to lead to compliance as soon as possible