The Council of British International Schools (COBIS)
Serving British International Schools of Global Quality
Representing over 500 member organisations, COBIS is a responsive organisation, open to current and future opportunities. The association has developed markedly since its foundation, changing to meet the needs and aspirations of its growing global school membership base.
COBIS exists to serve, support and represent its member schools – their leaders, governors, staff and students by:
- Providing quality assurance in member schools via The Patron's Accreditation and Compliance.
- Representing member schools with the British Government, educational bodies, and the corporate sector
- Providing effective professional development for senior leaders, governors, teachers and support staff
- Facilitating, coordinating and supporting professional networking opportunities for British International schools
- Processing Prohibition Order checks to promote child protection and safer recruitment and employment practices
- Engaging, challenging and inspiring students of all ages and abilities by delivering excellent interschool student competitions and events.
- Providing access to information about trends and developments in UK education
- Facilitating high impact 'Member to Member' professional networking
- Promoting career opportunities within the global COBIS network
- Brokering a cost-effective consultancy service between schools and approved educational support service providers
COBIS hosts a range of conferences and professional development events, both 'face to face' and online, for teachers, middle leaders and support staff as well as an Annual Conference in London in May for Heads, Governors and members of school Senior Leadership Teams. In addition to accessing high quality training, COBIS events provide excellent opportunities for colleagues to develop professional networks and contacts.
A fundamental aim of COBIS is to support its 500 plus members and represent their interests in Britain and overseas, particularly with Government, education authorities and educational associations. COBIS is committed to advancing the interests of British schools overseas and the commercial organisations that export education resources, products and services.
COBIS was founded over 30 years ago and is governed by an elected Board consisting of Headteachers and Governors from member schools worldwide.
COBIS is led by CEO, Colin Bell and supported by the COBIS team based in London.