Following successful lobbying led by COBIS and after due Parliamentary process, changes in legislation from 1 September 2012 at regulation level allow qualifying COBIS schools to deliver NQT induction.
Qualifying COBIS schools need to have successfully completed a British Schools Overseas (BSO) inspection by one of the 7 Department for Education (DfE) approved inspectorates.
COBIS welcomes this change in legislation which provides clear DfE recognition that BSO inspected COBIS schools are schools of global quality.
- NQT Induction in COBIS Schools
- List of COBIS Schools that Qualify for NQT Induction Delivery
- COBIS Schools Interested in Delivering NQT Induction
From September 2012, Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs) can complete NQT Induction in qualifying COBIS Accredited Member schools.
As a result of successful COBIS lobbying of the British Government and following due Parliamentary process changes have been made and confirmed at regulation level so that qualifying COBIS schools can access, support and deliver NQT induction.
Section 2.1 of the NQT statutory guidance for appropriate bodies, head teachers, school staff and governing bodies relate to COBIS and other qualifying British Schools overseas (BSOs).
Qualifying COBIS schools, of which there are currently over 30, have all successfully completed a BSO inspection, introduced in 2011, by one of the 7 Department for Education (UK) approved inspectorates. Details of DfE approved Inspectorates for BSOs are published on the DfE website.
From September 2012, Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs) can complete NQT Induction in qualifying COBIS Accredited Member schools*
- Ascension Island: Two Boats School
- Azerbaijan: British School in Baku
- Belgium: British International School of Brussels
- Belgium: British Junior Academy of Brussels
- Belgium: St Paul's British Primary School
- Brazil: St Paul’s School, Sao Paulo
- Brunei: Jerudong International School
- Bulgaria: British School of Sofia
- China: The British School of Beijing
- Czech Republic: English College Prague
- Czech Republic: International School Olomouc
- Czech Republic: Park Lane International School, Prague
- Czech Republic: Prague British School
- Czech Republic: Riverside School
- Czech Republic: The English College in Prague
- Denmark: Rygaards International School
- Egypt: British School Alexandria
- Egypt: Maadi British International School
- Egypt: Modern English School Cairo
- Egypt: The British International School, Cairo
- Egypt: The British School Al Rehab
- France: British School of Paris
- France: Mougins School
- Germany: Independent Bonn International School
- Greece: Byron College
- Greece: Campion School
- Greece: St Catherine's British School
- Indonesia: The British School Jakarta
- Italy: St George's British International School
- Italy: The British School of Milan
- Japan: The British School in Tokyo
- Kazakhstan: Haileybury Almaty
- Kenya: Hillcrest International School, Nairobi
- Kenya: St Andrew's Turi
- Kuwait: The British School of Kuwait
- Kuwait: The English Primary Group Salmiya School
- Kuwait: The English Primary Group Salwa School
- Luxembourg: St George's International School
- Malawi: St Andrew's International Primary School
- Malaysia: The Alice Smith School, Kuala Lumpur
- Malaysia: The British International School of Kuala Lumpur
- Mexico: The Edron Academy
- Mongolia: British School of Ulaanbaatar
- Morocco: International School of Morocco
- Nepal: The British School Kathmandu
- Netherlands: The British School in The Netherlands
- Netherlands: British School of Amsterdam
- Nigeria: Grange School
- Nigeria: Lagos Preparatory School
- Nigeria: St Saviour's School
- Nigeria: Children's International School
- Norway: British International School of Stavanger
- Oman: British School Muscat
- Panama: King's College Panama
- Poland: Poznan British International School
- Portugal: Oporto British School
- Qatar: Al Khor International School
- Qatar: Doha College
- Qatar: Sherborne Qatar
- Romania: The British School of Bucharest
- Romania: International British School of Bucharest
- Romania: Transylvania College - The Cambridge International School in Cluj
- Russia: International School of Moscow
- Saudi Arabia: The British International School Riyadh
- Slovenia: The British International School of Ljubljana
- Spain: Aloha College
- Spain: British School of Gran Canaria
- Spain: King's College, The British School of Alicante
- Spain: King's College, The British School of Madrid
- Spain: King's College, The British School of Murcia
- Spain: King's College School, La Moraleja
- Spain: King's Infant School
- Sweden: British International School of Stockholm
- Switzerland: Geneva English School
- Switzerland: The British School of Geneva
- Turkey: British Embassy School Ankara
- Turkey: British International School, Istanbul
- UK: Halcyon London International School
- UK: Wycombe Abbey School
- UK: Oxford International Study Centre
- UK: Sherborne International
- United Arab Emirates: Brighton College Abu Dhabi
- United Arab Emirates: Dubai College
- United Arab Emirates: Dubai English Speaking School and College
- United Arab Emirates: GEMS Jumeirah Primary School
- United Arab Emirates: GEMS Royal Dubai School
- United Arab Emirates: GEMS Wellington Academy Silicon Oasis
- United Arab Emirates: GEMS Wellington International School
- United Arab Emirates: GEMS Wellington Primary School
- United Arab Emirates: JESS Dubai
- United Arab Emirates: Jumeirah College
- United Arab Emirates: Repton School
- Venezuela: The British School Caracas
- Vietnam: The ABC International School
The above schools are all eligible to deliver NQT induction by virtue of having completed a successful BSO inspection, however not all of the above schools will be running NQT induction in any given year. COBIS advises teachers interested in undertaking NQT induction to contact the school directly, before making an application.
As the volume of COBIS schools undergoing the voluntary DfE approved inspection for BSOs increases more schools will qualify to deliver NQT induction.
Details of other non-COBIS schools which potentially qualify to deliver NQT induction and have completed a BSO inspection can be found on the DfE website. These schools will need to have a legal and contractual arrangement with the Independent Schools Teacher Induction Panel (IStip) or another approved provider of statutory NQT induction training.
*COBIS Accredited Member schools list updated January 2017
Qualifying COBIS schools, which have been BSO inspected, interested in delivering NQT induction will need to work directly with an Appropriate Body for NQT induction.
The Independent Schools Teacher Induction Panel (IStip) has supported a number of COBIS Schools and NQTs with inductions in recent years.For further details contact Judith Fenn, IStip Executive Director.
COBIS Supporting Member, Buckinghamshire Learning Trust also offers a package for induction of Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs) in COBIS Schools. For more information, please download this flyer, or contact Roxanne Willis-Jackson, Head of NQTs.
The NQT Induction team oversees the induction programme for those schools that register their NQTs with us. The team has substantial experience in the specialised area of induction and always maintains the highest degree of professional standards.